About Forest Grove School
The Forest Grove Schoolhouse in rural Scott County, Iowa, was erected in 1873 with construction and furnishings cost of $1,500. It was one of five schools in Pleasant Valley Township which had the honor of having the first schools in Scott County. Forest Grove School closed its doors for the final time in 1957. Today, the weathered gray, one-room school building surrounded by farm fields sits vacant next to a silent swing set. What stories could this building tell?
Forest Grove School Preservation plans to restore the schoolhouse to how it looked in the 1940′s. When the school is restored, plans are to open the building to 3rd and 4th grade students for re-enactments that would meet curriculum requirements for Iowa History. Supporters of the school also intend to host seasonal events at the site and will welcome community groups to enjoy the space for smaller functions.
Oral histories about life in a one room school have been collected and can be viewed on our School Life page.
Forest Grove School Preservation is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
National Register of Historic Places
Forest Grove School No. 5 was added to the National Register of Historic Places in October, 2013 Read more . . .